Saturday, April 3, 2010

But Is It Ham Radio?

I was reading the mail, listening to a VK work a JA with S-6 or better signals until they ID'ed. Low and behold; The VK was remotely operating station in the Carib. via VOIP and the JA the same with a station in the Southwest. It reminded me of the April Fool thread on QRZ-more importantly is it DX.? Yeah its techno whiz but not the same as working Uruguay Sporadic-E on 6M at 10W or three new countries QRP HF in an afternoon. The issue is dependence on infrastructure, we loose track of what happens inside the magic box(s). No I can't build my HF transceiver but I can build and understand a simple CW Xmitter and DC receiver and in a pinch could rely on it to make some contacts-admittedly slow and sloppy.
Distance wise maybe DX. I consider CO6LC DX but not if I E-Mailed him.
If the intention is to advance the art OK, I can understand that. But when radio becomes just one element in the data path, then its not DX. But what do I know.

73 de Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment